Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The one about traveling solo :)

I know I’m no pro at backpacking – neither solo traveling. But I think my last trip was pretty awesome, so I’m gonna share some tips here. Well.. consider it as “a beginner’s tips to solo travel” :)

1.       Don’t plan things – as much as I am a planner myself, I didn’t really plan my trip. Well I’ve booked the plane and the hostel, I’ve also arranged a meeting with Couchsurfing friends, but that’s it. Hahaha okay maybe I have to revise this… don’t make an itinerary.  Itineraries are only good if you travel in groups, me thinks. That way you can (try to) accommodate everyone’s wants. But if you’re traveling solo, you don’t need it! It’s best to just start your days without any detailed plan.. and see where it will lead you. It’s more exciting! 

2.       Stay in a backpackers hostel – I know backpackers hostel is not for everyone, some people don’t really like to share a room with strangers. If you’re that kind, try to stay for at least one night. Budget – wise, it’s cheap. Everything else? You’ll get to meet people, learn to tolerate with others, and who knows you’ll end up having new friends and have fun together.. 

3.       Meet people – From my experience, travelers are generally friendly. They don’t mind if you talk to them, opening a conversation. I mean, that’s the idea of traveling to me – see the world, meet people. Involve yourself in a random conversation with strangers (well of course, to be careful is really advisable..), you’ll be amazed (like I was) at the stories that you’ll hear.. or even, as simple as some sincere laughs you share with your new friends. 

4.       Try local food – Just because ;) 

5.       Have fun and get lost! – Well.. don’t get lost literally though :) In this case, the obvious…  keep yourself alert with yourself and your location, take notes of important/emergency numbers, keep your valuables safe (don’t bring valuables while you travel, I shall say..), and play local rules.  That way, I hope, you’re trip will be as fun (and safe) as mine! :)

So.. that’s about it. If you have traveled solo too, and would like to share your kinda tips, please do! comments are welcome, and happy traveling! :)

No comments: